Apple Craft For Preschool

apple crafts for kids
School starts in less than a month for my little guy and I know we are among the very latest to go back to school, or rather go to for the first time ! This is a fun craft that can be adapted easily for any age or ability. Beginners can finger paint the apple and skip the collage, older children can be challenged by finding the red paper in magazines and cutting them out , instead of the construction paper. If you ever need to have on one my crafts simplified or modified for older children never hesitate to contact me , I’m happy to help.

1. Gather your materials. You will need some heavy paper ( a paper grocery bag is perfect), a red marker, red paint, glue, red construction paper, kid scissors, and some brown and green construction paper. I have felt shown in the picture but decided to use paper for the leaf and stem instead.
  2. Start by cutting open the bag and drawing an apple with your marker.
  3. Have your child paint the apple .
  4. While they do that get the red construction paper ready to cut. Older preschoolers won’t need to have strips cut but children who are still mastering scissors can be helped by cutting strips that are only as wide as one cut, so that when they close the scissors there is no dangling or frustration. Immediate results are important when toddlers are learning a skill we want to encourage them to practice, and do again.
  5. Cut! This is the only pic I have because it took me holding the trip to get my son to cut it properly, we got into a great groove- about half the cutting were done by him with my help, I did the rest.
  6. Add glue
  7. Add your cut pieces.
  8. While they are adding the cut pieces, cut out a stem and leaf from your green and brown paper.
  9. Glue them on ( my son was outside by this point!) Let dry.
  10. Cut out and share with your favorite teacher at home or school.

Books

Apples by Jacqueline Farmer is not a book to snuggle up and read before bed or really anytime with a toddler but wow it’s a wonderful resource. I didn’t know how much I didn’t know about apples until I read this book. It’s packed full of detail about how they are grown, where they came from originally, varieties and more! I urge teachers and homeschooling parents to check this out if you are doing any study about fruit, or apples.

Ten Red Apples by Pat Hutchins is a simple but effective and delightfully bouncy countdown book. The tree starts with 10 red apples but one after another farm animal swipes an apple , despite the farmer’s protests. The sing song rhymes are fun to read out loud and my son enjoyed announcing the numbers as we counted down. The illustrations look like wood toys and I thought they were charming but my toddler told me he was scared of the farmer’s wife!

apple_pie

How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman cost me a total of 15 cents at a thrift store. It is worth so much more than that. This book is a gem! Perfect for older preschoolers who are getting a sense of the world beyond their own home and city, this book takes you on a ride around the world! You follow the little girl to Italy, France , Sri Lanka, England, Jamaica and back to Vermont! As soon as I read this my mind was racing with classroom activities ! I will be posting some soon. I LOVE this book, I just wish I had read it when I was still teaching it would have been so much fun to teach geography with!

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

1. Merynne says

We are going to do this craft today! Yeah, I LOVE it;) But we are going to use the book "Ten Apples Up On Top" Good old Dr. Suess. I can't get to the library or store, so it will have to do;) Thanks for another great idea!

Yes that is a great book- it's been ages since I read it, I don't own it and it was out at the library- I was hoping someone would suggest it !

3. Nicole says

I found your site a few weeks ago and I wanted to say thanks for posting so much. I have used many of the crafts with my preschool age children. I just have one question: What do you do with all the finished crafts?? I have hung several around our schoolroom but the rest are really starting to pile up. Any ideas or suggestions?

Garrett- I have number activities here but most aren't crafts. I will add it to my list though :)

Nicole – You are so welcome!

I have to be honest a LOT gets recycled, letter of the week goes on the fridge for a week… then off to the recycle bin it is. I keep anything my son plays with but I am pretty heartless , I have to be.

5. Anonymous says

Can I ask how old your son is? My daughter was born in January '07 and we've done quite a few of the crafts you've posted. This has become my absolute favorite site! It seems sometimes like your son must be roughly Emma's age, but sometimes he seems a little older and more advanced. I ask specifically today because of the cutting. Emma is just starting to get the hang of it, but its a challenge still for her and it looks like your little guy is pretty adept with them.

Absolutely- he was a thanksgiving baby! November 2006. So they are probably right on track with each other for most things. We've been cutting for a long time, a good way to practice is with play dough and plastic scissors.

7. Tanya says

We just did a big torn paper apple for Rosh Hashanah (great minds think alike?), but I like the idea of cutting paper! My daughter was also born Nov 2006 (Thanksgiving weekend, too). She definitely could use the cutting practice.

Oh, wanted to ask you — is your son starting preschool in Sept? Here in Oregon, the child must be 3 by Sept. We just miss the cutoff, even though skillswise, my daughter is where a 3 yr old preK would be. Bummer! :(