Remembrance Day and Veteran’s Day

Paper Poppy

Poppy Craft

I am Canadian and today in both Canada and the United States it’s a holiday celebrating those who fight for our respective countries. In Canada it’s Remembrance Day and In the US Veteran’s Day.   In Canada the Royal Canadian Legion sells little poppy pins for people to wear and show support for our defenders past and present ( this is also done in the UK). In the United States we often see yellow ribbons. So today I am dedicating this craft to my country but if you are looking for a patriotic American craft do not fear I have a list ready for you too.

1. Gather your materials. You will need a paper grocery bag, a marker, scissors, some red paint, dried black beans and glue.Poppy Craft
  2. Start by cutting open your bag and drawing a poppy.Poppy Craft
  3. My son informed me he was going to make his own poppy just with scissors… he worked on it the whole time I did the poppy. Never force a child to do art , I wanted to post this today so I had to get it done but I can re do it with him if he asks. He was creating too, and we chatted the whole time about veterans and why I am making a poppy.Poppy Craft
  4. Paint with red paint. Poppy Craft
  5. Add glue to the center.Poppy Craft
  6. Add your black beans.  Let dry.Poppy Craft
  7. When dry cut out. Poppy Craft

Patriotic American Crafts

Flag Place Mat

Patriotic Treats

For even more click on the Crafts tab on the menu bar , then on By Theme on the dropdown menu! You’ll find all sorts of crafts for every holiday!

Comments

1. Jennifer McIntyre @atthebluebarn says

THANK YOU for sharing this project! I have been looking for a poppy that I wore as a child – which I cannot find – and I was trying to think about what I have in the craft room to make one!! I will post pictures later – You’re the best!
    Jennifer

2. Jaclyn says

Hi! I really enjoy your website…such creative ideas! I wanted to let you know that in the USA the Veterans of Foreign Wars give little red poppies to you when you donate to them. God bless all of our veterans!!

Really? in 6 years ( including one when my husband was still active duty in the USAF) I have never seen them. Thanks for letting me know!

3. katherine marie says

I don’t know what I thought you lived in SEATTLE??? Why did I think that?? Did you visit recently??

Thanks for sharing a bit of Vetrans day love. We are military family, but I’ve never seen the poppies!?

4. admin says

I do , I live right outside of Seattle, but I am Canadian. It confuses people all the time !

When I asked my husband about the poppies here in the states he said he’d never seen them either, wondering if it’s regional?

I linked to this on my weekly roundup (post is here – along with a different link to that same poem. I never knew the connection, though!

My hubs is a member of the VFW (also former USAF!) and sells poppies every year. The VFW site vfw.org explains it this way – “Since 1924, VFW Buddy Poppies have been assembled by disabled and needy veterans in VA hospitals. The Buddy Poppy program assists in maintaining state and national rehabilitation and service programs for veterans.”

So, the VFW buys the poppies (Hubs says the price isn’t really set) and that money goes to support the disabled and needy vets. The VFW chapters then sell the poppies, and what they make beyond the initial price supports the local chapters. Hubs also said that it’s a national program, but that many chapters choose not to sell them.

Hope that helps a bit. And thanks for the great craft! I noted in the roundup that I think green lentils instead of the beans would make it look even more like the ones the VFW sells – which are the only poppies my little one has seen. :>) Thanks!
    .-= Lenetta @ Nettacow´s last blog ..Organizing Pot Lids =-.

1. […] activities, picture books and crafts:1. Paper Mosaic Flag from Naturally Educational (my site)2. Remembrance Day Poppy from No Time for Flashcards3. Popsicle Stick Flag from Laugh Learn Love4. Memorial Day Picture […]