Green and Gold Sensory Tub

If you are preparing for St.Patrick’s Day or just urging spring and all the green that comes with it to hurry up and come this sensory tub activity is a must. So fun, so earthy and a huge huge mess. Seriously skip the mung beans, they roll when you sweep.  If you haven’t tried scooping activities with your child do, they love this and a little tub like this can lead to wonderful pretend play, basic understanding of measurement and is just plain fun!

1. Gather your materials. You will need some split peas, yellow lentils, mung beans ( if you dare… or have a drop cloth down), the green rice is called bamboo rice, some fun gold coins if you are doing a St.Patrick’s Day theme, and tools to scoop and pour. St.Patrick's Day Sensory Tub
  2. Pour your lentils, peas and rice into your tub.St.Patrick's Day Sensory Tub
  3. Add the gold coins and tools.
  4. Invite your child to play. St.Patrick's Day Sensory Tub
  5. Let them go. Find the gold, count them, hide them again, and just explore. St.Patrick's Day Sensory Tub
  6. This spill was much much larger than I managed to capture on camera.  Accidents are forgiven but pouring on the floor is not . He gets one warning then the tub goes up until later in the day when we try again.  Still it’s well worth it and still fun a few hours later too!St.Patrick's Day Sensory Tub

Looking for more Sensory play ideas?

Ice Cube Painting
Oatmeal Digging
Backyard Car Wash

Comments

What a great sensory tub! I guess it IS time to start thinking about March, isn’t it? I’m so glad to see that I’m not the only one with a little boy who enjoys pouring his sensory tub on the floor just to see what happens. I like your rule of one warning, and then put the sensory tub away.
    .-= Cara´s last blog ..Popsicle Painting =-.

2. Stacey says

We are still loving your February Sensory Tub!! :-) Can’t wait to do the March one with the gold coins! We have the same rule – a few pieces are going to fall out when you’re playing, but “on purpose” is not okay. We do the “one warning and then the tub goes up until another day” too!

Cute idea, I will use this one with my daycare group. I know messes are part of preschoolers, but I use a flannel back table cloth to protect the floors for messy activities. I call them tarps and change them with the seasons the kids like them too.

Oh no!

I have never had a big problem by covering the tub with plastic wrap when not in use, then I pour the contents in a ziploc and store it from year to year. I like making little tubs for that exact reason, easy to store and reuse later/ or use the contents for other crafts.

4. Jenna says

What a great idea! I am going to start doing sensory tubs with my 3 1/2 year old. She LOVED playing in a rice table at a museum we went to last year.

One of my favorites from when I was student teaching was using coffee grinds as a sensory activity (We had enough to fill a whole empty sand/water table!). It’s great because of the texture and the smell! Just start saving your coffee grinds (let them dry out) and when you have enough, make your sensory tub. I know some Starbucks also put their used coffee grinds in bags and you can take them (for free) to use in your garden.

We played with our sensory tub today. I used green peas and navy beans and threw in some gold coins a cup and spoon. Torryn happily played with it for more than 30 minutes. Such a great way to play.