If you are preparing for St.Patrick’s Day or just urging spring and all the green that comes with it to hurry up and come this sensory tub activity is a must. So fun, so earthy and a huge huge mess. Seriously skip the mung beans, they roll when you sweep. If you haven’t tried scooping activities with your child do, they love this and a little tub like this can lead to wonderful pretend play, basic understanding of measurement and is just plain fun!
- Gather your materials. You will need some split peas, yellow lentils, mung beans ( if you dare… or have a drop cloth down), the green rice is called bamboo rice, some fun gold coins if you are doing a St.Patrick’s Day theme, and tools to scoop and pour.
- Pour your lentils, peas and rice into your tub.
- Add the gold coins and tools.
- Invite your child to play.
- Let them go. Find the gold, count them, hide them again, and just explore.
- This spill was much much larger than I managed to capture on camera. Accidents are forgiven but pouring on the floor is not . He gets one warning then the tub goes up until later in the day when we try again. Still it’s well worth it and still fun a few hours later too!
Looking for more Sensory play ideas?