Homemade Kids Meal

Home Made Kids Meal

I don’t plan out my posts much more than a scrap paper or notebook page of brainstorms. This post was not planned at all. My son was under the weather and wouldn’t eat. I knew he needed to eat lunch and when I asked ” If you could have anything what would you eat?” his answer was “A Happy Meal” . I was not taking him to McDonald’s every time he is sick! . So instead we made one at home. Huge , huge success !  He was sick and not at all into doing anything but this would be a fun parent and child activity. I am sure this is a healthier option ( not by much… but it is organic) more importantly it’s a treat at home!

1. Gather your ingredients and materials. You will need a paper bag, some markers, foil, containers, straw..whatever you need to package your food. Don’t forget a toy or prize as well! We played restaurant as well so I grabbed some money and a tray to complete the pretend play. Home Made Kids Meal
  2. Start by decorating the bag – I wish my son was feeling well enough to do it but instead he told me to make one with fish. Home Made Kids Meal
  3. Make your food! We made apple slices, chicken nuggets, ranch dip , and milk. Home Made Kids Meal
  4. Pack your meal up and don’t forget the prize,  I popped some Olympic stickers in for him. Home Made Kids Meal
  5. Take their order and their money! Home Made Kids Meal
  6. Dig in! Home Made Kids Meal
  7. He cleaned his plate and loved the stickers. Home Made Kids Meal

Books

Dinner At The Panda Palace

Dinner at the Panda Palace by Stephanie Calmenson is a great book. I grabbed it only because of the title but found a gem. My son and I both loved it and had a blast reading it. The story is about a restaurant and the people , or rather animals that come into the restaurant in ever enlarging groups. The text is rhyming and well written. My son loved counting each group that came in figuring out after a few that each group was one animal larger. It was a great opportunity to practice one to one correspondence as he counted one each page.  There was also a great message about there always being room for one more when all the chairs were taken and a mouse came knocking wondering if he could eat too!How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food

How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jan Yolen is a book all about eating in the popular and well loved series of dinosaur books . My son loves these books, he likes that the dinosaurs always misbehave in such over the top ways before the reality of how they really behave, well mannered , listening to their parents and eating all thier food. What I like about this is that kids relate to the dinosaurs and I have never had one question why the parents are human. I like that children are encouraged to sit still and say please and thank you. What I don’t like is that the dinosaurs are encouraged to clean their plate, never drop anything and try everything put before them. I know some parents will love these rules but for our house it doesn’t work, we don’t encourage plate cleaning or force bites. The book still served a purpose, as my son said loudly ” I’m a boy I don’t have to eat everything, right?” and we had a good talk about eating.

Comments

It’s totally all about the presentation! The nuggets are the dino ones – I cooked them in the oven and wrapped them in foil.

This is such a cute idea! My son doesn’t really care about Happy Meals yet, but I’m sure that will change as he gets older. I think a lot of times it’s not the junk food that the kids want, it’s just the novelty of how it’s presented.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..A good samaritan =-.

2. Josie says

Playing resturaunt is my daughters favorite way to eat lunch. I never thought to make a happy meal though. We’re definitly going to try this one!

3. rori says

I love how you even put the Please Recycle Sign on! I’m glad you brought up the point about the food in the dinosaurs bks, I had never thought of that!

4. Sandi says

That’s great! We did this once with Lunchables. My daughter saw some in the store and was begging to get one (I don’t have a clue how she knew what they were??) Anyway, they are WAY to expensive for me so I suggested we make one at home. I cut the ham and cheese into squares/circles and stacked them up next to a stack of Ritz crackers. She was thrilled and I saved a bunch of money.

5. admin says

Rori – I am sensitive to food things and I just went to a great presentation about healthy family eating and they really pushed hard for parents to eliminate the “no thank you” bite idea so it was fresh in my mind.

I still really love the series of books but this one will remain a library one, we own a few of the others.

The “How Do Dinosaurs…” books are all great. Rhymes, great art, a nice message, and learning how to pronounce dinosaur names!
    .-= Brian MacDonald´s last blog ..Anatomy of “No Time for Flash Cards” (Episode 98) =-.

I have such a hard time with the dinosaur names! My son is a pro though, our favorite book in the series is “How do dinosaurs say goodnight.”

Quatchi is a big deal here! My son has a zipper pull from the Olympics that he makes me put on all his zippers . Loved seeing all the billboards and buss signs with him, he would scream ” Mama look it’s Quatchi!! He’s on a bus , that bus , he’s on it with Miga!!” . I saw a Quatchi backpack at Save on and if my husband hadn’t been there to talk me out of it my son would have yet another backpack ;)

What a great idea to make lunch time fun! Hope you are feeling well with your pregnancy. My little guy is already 2 months old! I look forward to doing all of these fun preschool activities with him when he gets older. We read Dr. Suess today!

Jen
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..Happy Birthday, Dr. Suess! =-.

8. admin says

Jen – 2 months already? Congrats! How is having a little man after 2 girls? I am excited and doing well. Thank you!

I love this idea but what I am really writing about it the tray. Can you tell me where you found it. I live in Alaska and where I live it’s hard to find cool stuff. I love the trays and my little one would love them for so many things. Thanks a bunch