Pretend Play- During Dinner!

Pretend Play

My husband commutes into the city everyday and we are left with little family time during the week. So to fit some family fun in we decided to turn dinner time into play time ! My son and I planned the meal, the menu and even met my husband at the door “in character”.  It was a blast! Pretend play is a major part of preschooler’s play and there are ample opportunities to learn or simply connect with your kids within pretend play.

1. Gather your materials.  Grab some paper and a marker to make a menu and get your food cooking! A you can see our menu was kind of spendy! Let your child set the prices. Pretend Play
  2. Make some table settings that are appropriate for the restaurant you are pretending to be, for us it was a local fish and chips shop so we gathered up some ketchup, tartar sauce and set the table with the obligatory water.  We rolled our silverware in paper towels and taped it with some paper.  Pretend PlayPretend Play
  3. We prepared the bread and butter. Pretend Play
  4. Met our customer at the door… that sign is sitting on our Recycled Music Stand we made a while back. Pretend Play
  5. Took his order Pretend Play
  6. Then I took his order- hey there are no rules to pretend play the waiter eats with the customers at our restaurant. Pretend Play
  7. Enjoyed some appetizers and ate our food.
  8. Then presented him with our bill.  If you have older siblings this would be a fun part to practice addition, explain taxes etc… Pretend Play

Remember to have fun even if the only time you have to do it is dinner time on a busy weekday!

Comments

I know and the organic tater tots were $$ ;) and weren’t even good. Next time I give in to my son’s request for them ( normally with fish we have sweet potato fries) I will go all the way and get the real “bad” ones that cook up properly, and embrace a junk food day now and then.

1. Trisha says

What a fun idea! We try to fit play in when we can also, since we have limited time at home. I never knew, before having my son, that the hour between 7 and 8 a.m. is for play.

Being that I wait tables on the weekends, my girls often play server and will get drinks and crackers,etc. They write down the order, but I like how thought out your role play dinner was from the seating to the bill- so cute. They actually were reading your post w/ me and want to try it your way! Thanks for posting- at 6 and 8, they still enjoy pretend play- my little actresses.
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..How to Make an Inexpensive Fairy Wand =-.

3. Jen P. says

This was so fun!
    Made Dad feel very loved and made my girls feel very, very grown up.
    They want to do it every night now.
    What a smart way to make an average night into an unforgettable one.

Aww I am so glad everyone enjoyed themselves. It really is about making something special from something mundane!

I love this! Grace is accustomed to eating out in restaurants, and it’s a nasty habit that Joe and I are looking to curtail. This would make eating at home so much fun!

I’m going to include this in Things to Write Home About. Love it! :)
    .-= Tara @ Feels like home´s last blog ..What is This Plant? =-.