Geography Game For Kids

geography lesson

My husband and I traveled a lot internationally before kids and we want to share our love and curiosity for other countries with our kids. Like many with young kids we aren’t up to taking them to all these places just yet. Instead we read lots of books , look at lots of pictures ( our own and others) and play games like this one that GASP uses flash cards . This geography game for kids is so simple and will spark your child’s wanderlust!

1. Gather your materials. You will need a globe or map, and some fun geography flash cards.
  2. Start by having your child pick a card. Ask them by looking at the picture where they think it might be. Wild guesses or close calculations are wqually good, this is all about exploring from your own playroom, not getting facts “right”.
  3. Flip it over and find out where it is.
  4. Next find it on the map.
  5. Keep going as long as it’s fun.
  6. Beware for wee sisters who swipe the landmarks.

Comments

Now you’ve convinced me! I’ve been eying those flash cards for awhile, but haven’t bought them yet. I’ll have to pick up a pack the next time I’m at Target.

What a great idea! We do something similar with postcards that we’ve received from friends and family that travel. Every time one comes in the mail, we find where it is on the globe.

3. Josie says

I have to say I’ve been following your blog for so long you have me a little brainwashed. Before doing something like this I always have to ask myself, “what would the lady at notimeforflashcards do?” I’m glad you approve of them sometimes! I love this idea and I’m dying to get a globe or world map!

THis makes me giggle – I don’t always hate them, I actually love them for decor ;) but it’s all how you use something, is it dynamic? if it is it’s probably great!

It came from the discovery channel store almost 10 years ago… yes before we had kids. My husband and I would play games on it. Now the whole world knows we are nuts !

I’m glad you shared about this. Sometimes I think we teacher-types put out the vibe that things like flashcards are bad and only the really involved hands-on stuff is of value. When in reality, it’s HOW we use things. This was a great use of flashcards to do some fun learning!

This is actually a nice idea for kids to enjoy and learn. And it is ideal for them at this point for they are more curious about things around them. Visual learning is such a great approach for kids, bet those moms out there would be inspired with this activity.

That’s a really fun idea. If you travel alot, or have family travel alot, you could collect postcards as well, and it would make the game a little more personal. I may use this game sometime. I’ll check back with you and link up if I do.:) I’m a new follower, thanks so much!

Love this idea! My girls enjoy maps and globes- i think this would be fun 4 them. I saw those cards and was wondering how to use them, so that it is fun. Glad I saw your idea- I’ll have to pin it for later. (my new love- pinterest!)