Quick & Easy Pompom Play

pompom sticky window boredom buster for kidsWe have a lot of pompoms which isn’t a bad thing because we like them. We use them for crafts like this octopus , we use them for apples trees and the letter c. Today though I want to share an activity with no agenda at all. There is no final product, no right or wrong way to do it it’s just about exploration. You child can explore textures, sizes , colors and even basic physics. Most of all they will be having fun. My daughter loved this and didn’t just explore with her hands,  you will see she got her whole body into it.

Gather your materials. You will need some pompoms ( you don’t need a vat of them like I have a handful will be fine too), some contact paper, painter’s tape, scissors, and a curious child.

quick pom pom play for kids

Start by hanging up your contact paper sticky side out on a window or wall. Secure it in place with painter’s tape. quick pompom boredom buster for kids

Pop some pompoms in a container and invite your child to explore. She started just adding the pompoms but when she added a really large one that was too heavy to stay on she noticed it left a residue of fluff. pompomstickywall

So she started stamping the contact paper with the pompoms to leave fluff. quick pompom activity for preschoolers

Next she dug out the smallest pompoms and added them giving her fine motor skills an even greater challenge. quick pompom activity for kids fine motor

Finally she decided to see what the pompoms felt like to sit in and sat in the bucket while continuing to add them to the sticky window. quick activity for pompoms

We kept this up for a while and have redone it since. It’s easy peasy and as long as you don’t find the inevitable spill or two of colorful pompoms it’s a lot of fun.

What’s your favorite way to use pompoms?

G

Comments

1. Jessica says

What a great idea! The children at my child care centre in the nursery room have been very interested in pom poms this week. This is a great extension on that interest.
    Thank you! :)

• Allison McDonald says

I have never heard this so my intent was not at all to offend. I grew up saying “Easy peasey lemon squeezy!” which was a pretty common phrase in my part of Canada and the UK after a advert for soap. I am eager to find out more can you share any info about the origin of the racial slur? Thanks!

This looks like so much fun! Definitely something my 2yo would love. But 1st, I need to get some pom poms. The last pic is just too adorable. :)

• Allison McDonald says

Me too- If I had directed her I probably would have had her sort them. I love that it was open and went them way her curiosity did.

3. Alison says

This is a nice idea :)
    Candice – get a grip. Easy Peasey lemon squeezy is what all kids in England say. It is not meant as a racist comment so get over yourself. Enjoy the pom pom activity, ha!

• Anne says

LOL Someone needs to write some sort of dictionary of slang/phrases/words gone wrong. As a grandma, I’m sure there would be a lot in it that I grew up with.

Also raised my kids with pom poms, never thought of this. Can’t wait to try this one with the grands-kids!!! Thanks for sharing :)

• Allison McDonald says

Oh I love that it works for that time… which is when I sneak on to check my comments too. My daughter is playing with magnets for now but I think I might need to make a new pom pom window.