Earth Day is almost upon us. I love doing crafts and showing my son the world around us. Today we worked on an Our World Earth Day Craft
- Gather your materials. For this craft, you will need some recycled cardboard and either newspaper or a paper grocery bag, paint, a paint brush, glue, and scissors.
- Draw a circle and some continents on your cardboard, cut out the circle only.
- Paint your newspaper or grocery bag blue using a paint brush and let dry.
- Finger paint your continents but wait until they are dry to cut them out, this is because it’s much easier to get toddlers and young children to paint larger things, than small cut out pieces. Let dry.
- Wrap the dry blue newspaper around the cardboard round and glue on the back.
- Cut out the dry continents.
- Glue on and enjoy your recycled world!
Note to Parents: If you are doing this Old World Earth Day craft with older siblings, you could roll a geography lesson into it as well, tracing the continents from a map so they are accurately shaped and place them properly on the earth!
For additional Recycled Projects Click Here
Here are just 2 of the many good books out there from children about the environment.
“The Berenstain Bears Don’t Pollute (anymore) “ by Stan and Jan Berenstain provides an excellent overview of a whole bunch of concerns for our world. It touches on recycling, deforestation, air pollution and more. The text would be far too long for the younger crowd but Pre-K on up would be an appropriate age range.
“The Whole Green World” by Tony Johnston is a celebration of the Earth and it’s beauty. The text is short enough to hold young children’s attention and the illustrations by Elisa Kleven are bright and so detailed you will fall in love! I think it’s important to teach our children to see the beauty of the Earth, especially when we are teaching them to conserve it!
This Our World Earth Day craft was fun to do! What crafts do you enjoy? Comment below or share on my Facebook page!
If you teach preschool or preschool at home, you will love my Little School eBook of preschool activities.
CCC (Crazy Cooking Camper) says
Perfect craft for Earth Day! I linked it to PassiFlora magazine blog (http://passifloramag.com/2009/04/happy-earth-day/)
Hope you don’t mind.
Anderson's Mommy says
Cute idea! I know Earth Day has already passed this year, but my son and I will definitely be making this tomorrow as our brother to brother craft. (I have a one y/o who loves painting and the finger painting here is perfect!) Anderson went to school Thursday and came home talking about how the Earth is round so I am sure he will get a kick out of this craft. Thanks bunches! 🙂
Cindy deRosier says
I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your project! You can see it here:
If you have other kid friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!