Kill two birds with one activity! This is a great way to reuse paper grocery bags and encourage your child’s imagination with some fun home made pretend play!
- Gather your materials. You will need a large brown grocery bag, a marker, some paint, a few pipe cleaners, scissors and stickers if you want. I had a stapler in there but only because I made the head hole HUGE and had to make adjustments.
- If like me you have a grocery bag with printing on the outside you will want to turn it inside out. It will make the bag wrinkly but my son didn’t seem to mind one bit.
- Cut out large arm openings, you don’t want holes because the bag will rip, instead you will need large openings from the bottom to the shoulder.
- Cut a large head opening. Here is should be a hole.
- Draw some fun roboty buttons and dials. I asked my son what he wanted and he said “button” as he pointed at my shirt so that’s what we did. There is no wrong way to do this!
- Add fun stuff like stickers, or cut out foam shapes, the sky is the limit. We added small star stickers.
- Start painting! We used a foam brush because it spreads the paint thin and you will want to have a quick drying robot costume since no child wants to wait to make believe!
- Add another color or two!
- Add some pipe cleaners for added flair – I threaded them through and bent all the ends so there were no sharp edges. Let the paint dry.
- Have fun playing robot!