If you are concerned about red food dye in these Valentine’s Day Cupcakes ( which I wasn’t when I wrote this obviously but now restrict as much as possible ) use this Natural Color red dye instead!
- Gather your ingredients. I cheat when it comes to baking so, a cake mix and it’s ingredients, some rope licorice ( I used Pull and Peel Twizzlers), icing, the above mentioned red and pink food coloring, and a few extra bowls.
- Make the cake mix, separate it into two bowls one red and one pink. If I did this again, I would make the pink lighter, so there was more contrast.
- Fill the muffin cups with the red first, then at the pink, I used a toothpick to swirl it a little.
- Bake and let cool.
- While they cool, add a little more pink food coloring to the white icing to reach the desired color.
- Ice the cupcakes when cool enough and get ready to decorate.
- Start creating with the licorice, write names, messages or just hearts! The licorice is really easy to work with when decorating these cupcakes!
- Have a Valentine’s Day Cupcakes treat with your class or surprise your little ones!