My son and I are often together. He doesn’t cry when I leave him at preschool, or with family but by bedtime he wants one person only. Mama. This week I am going to Nashville for Blissdom, a social media conference for women and it will be the 3rd time I have been away from my son in his life. I hate leaving him and this activity was as much for me as him. His hand will be for me to wear when we are away and mine for him to wear if and when he misses me. * I wanted to add an idea that a Twitter follower had which was using this for military families during deployment! Fantastic!
- Gather your materials. Today we are using Shrinky Dinks- yes they still exist! I got ours at Micheal’s, as well as colored pencils, scissors, a baking sheet with parchment paper, a hole punch and some ribbon or plastic thread. My son picked his out, honestly I would use ribbon if I were you, the plastic thread doesn’t lay flat when you wear it.
- Start by tracing your little one’s hand with a colored pencil.
- Ask them to dictate ( or write if they can) what they want to say.
- Have them color it.
- Make your own hand as well. Remember your hand will be worn by your child so write them a note.
- Cut out.
- Punch a hole in each.
- Watch them shrink.
- Don’t take your eyes off them when they lay flat it’s time to take them out.
- Let cool and thread the ribbon and thread through.
- Pop it on and when you miss each other you have a message to remind you of the bond and love you share! He is showing me how he will kiss it when I am away !
This is the book that inspired this activity and it would be wrong not to include it!
The Kissing Hand by Audry Penn is an absolute favorite . Chester is a raccoon who like most of us doesn”™t like change. In his case it”™s starting school. He wants to stay home with his mama and play with the friends he already has instead of going to school away from her and his friends. So his mama explains to him the magic of the kissing hand . The real magic is the message that we have to do things that scare us sometimes but that the love of our family is always with us to help us through. Go get this book. See how perfect is this, mostly for me this week, I hate leaving my son, letting go is good for me but man I miss his snuggles when I am away!