They don’t want to be rocked , cuddled or nursed all day long anymore. They try to jump out of your arms in stores and you are amazed by how much mess such a wee person can make! Your baby is exploring the world in whole new ways, on two feet, with more gusto and you aren’t so sure all those prayers for the newborn stage to end were well thought out. Activities for 1 year olds are short, but having a bunch of fun quick ones on hand will help keep your little one busy and having fun.
1. Pour some pasta.( or rice, or lentils, or quinoa.)
2. We love our water table , my daughter got this Step2 Sand & Water Table for her birthday and it’s been a huge hit not only with her but 2, 3 and even almost 5 year olds! We add bubbles, extra toys and have a blast. You can make your own too.
3. Sing silly songs! I video taped her reaction to show you how much this age responds to music. She has been sticking out her tongue and grunting for a week as a way of asking for me to sing it again.
Um um! Went the little green frog one day,
Um um , went the little green frog.
Um um went the little green frog one day,
and they all went um um ahhh!
But we all know frogs go ,
la di da di da,
la di da di da
la di da di da
We all know frogs go la di da di da,
They don’t go um um ah!!!
3. We love our water table , my daughter got this Step2 Water Table for her birthday and it’s been a huge hit not only with her but 2, 3 and even almost 5 year olds! We add bubbles, extra toys and have a blast. You can make your own too.
4. Dig in the dirt.
5. Turn bath time into a pretend day at the beach by adding swim suits, sun glasses , pails and shovels.
6. Read. Gather a pile of books and let your toddler choose which books to read.
7. Make a Firetruck ( or other vehicle) for them out of a diaper box and play pretend.
8. Paint with bugs.
9.Make a drum and beat it!
welcome to our wonderland says
she is a doll. I remember when you use to post the song videos my now 5 year old would watch them! 🙂
I have a new song to post soon ! Seeing how she is so into them – I swear I sing 200 times a day .
It’s so good to hear you sing again. I missed them.
I also remember the song from my 4 year old! I guess it is a good thing that you have reminded me of such great songs!! My 4 year old actually made my 1 year old a car out of a box and it was a great way to engage BOTH kids!! She also got a water table, which has been great to cool down on these warm days! Thank you SO much for all of the great ideas!!
My 5-yr-old watched this video and said, “That’s a crazy baby! And a crazy grown-up.” ;o) (He’s used to crazy grown-ups at his house, too!)
Heather @ Preschool Buddy says
Those are great ideas – especially for first time moms who are just getting used to having a mobile little one. I wish I would have had this list when my first son was born. : )
LOVE ALL OF THEM! Now I know how to keep my 14 month old boy BUSY!!! lol thankssss