We have started spotting butterflies in our yard when we are outside playing and I am so happy that my son still stops what he is doing to watch them flutter by. This coffee filter butterfly is a classic kids craft but by using the colored glue we made and glitter it’s a little special even for a jaded crafter like my son. I like how the colored glue can be seen through the wings and in the window, it looks like a suncatcher. My kids had a ball and I think it was a great reminder that classic crafts are classic for a reason.
Coffee Filter Butterfly
- Gather your materials. You will need some coffee filters, some colored glue, glitter, and pipe cleaners. My kids love the sparkly ones from craftprojectideas.com . Also when we are doing glitter I like to shake it into a box lid, or other container to keep it a little contained.
- Start by drizzling the glue all over the coffee filter. While my daughter did this my son was playing nearby.
- She loved squeezing the glue and we took the opportunity to talk about colors too.
- Add the glitter! She was tame compared to her brother …. you’ll see what I mean in a bit.
- She was happy with one so I invited my son who wasn’t ready yet. So we played for a while then started the craft. This worked well because I got my daughter engaged so she was happily playing alone when my son decided he was ready. He wanted to make a monarch butterfly because they migrate. OK. So he was trying to mix the red and yellow paint to make orange.
- And guess who decided she wanted to make another. I only had one box and my son was using it so I gave my daughter about 5 layers of coffee fliter so the colored glue didn’t seep through to the unprotected table. It worked well.
- Then he added glitter.
- And he went bananas. He made up a silly song about glitter and had us all giggling. Yes it was a mess but it was funny and silly and happy and I am a total sucker for funny.
- We let them dry over night ( on way paper so the glue that ran through the filters wouldn’t stain anything). Did you really think I’d have a post without at least one of my kids in PJs?
- Then wound the pipe cleaners around them.
- Put them in the window .
I still have glitter to clean up – my son helped but I think he just spread it. The library may get a few books returned that shine figuratively and literally.
The little caterpillar snuggled on a leaf,
Spun a little chrysalis and then fell asleep,
While she was sleeping she dreamed that she could fly,
When she woke up she was a butterfly.
Have you made a butterfly craft like this? Follow our Facebook page for more craft ideas!