Kids love using keys and learning is more fun with something you love to play with . This math activity is a cinch to prepare and as you will see fun even when it gets challenging. You can easily customize it for any level of math ability or even just let let them try to find the right key without any numbers which is great fine motor skill practice.
- Gather your materials. You will need some peel and stick labels, a marker, and some locks with matching keys.
- I wrote out the words , numbers and simple equations for each lock and key.
- The first part of the activity had my son matching the number written out on the lock with the number on the key.
- On the other side of the lock I had the simple equation.
- He jumped on the words and numbers happily – they were fun and easy.
- Then I locked them all and mixed them up.
- This took some thinking and using of fingers to count which he did under the table . He is reluctant to use his fingers and wants to “just know” the right answer. This is something we are working on as showing the work is so important.
- He got it!
You can do this for so many things and I’d love to do it with words using pictures but I need to collect more locks – they aren’t as cheap as I had hoped!