When I was asked to partner with Disney-Hyperion to help promote Mo Willems’ work I didn’t have to think twice. You are probably familiar with The Pigeon series, but please tell me you are familiar with Elephant & Piggie books, no maybe it’s best if you aren’t because then you get to discover the series for the first time. Either way, I have some hard news. This series is coming to an end. But the good news is that the final book, The Thank You Book is a gem. If you love this series as much as I do (and boy do I love it!) you may get a little teary reading the final book. I haven’t gotten choked up since the last Harry Potter. But I admit I had a hard time reading the final few pages.
This sponsored post includes affiliate links.
Why are Elephant & Piggie Books So Good?
Here’s the thing, yes Mo Willems is hilarious and yes he has a magical way of breaking through that fourth wall and addressing the reader as part of the story, but the magic is in how simple the books are. New readers can succeed reading these books, but they don’t feel like they are reading a “baby” book because each book in this series is engaging, and unique, and connects to young readers with humor and feelings that they recognize immediately. The speech bubbles used for the dialog help break down the stories into predictable language for new readers. The humor is just the hook and I can say I have never read an Elephant & Piggie without laughing out loud.
The Thank You Book
The Thank You Book is clearly a goodbye to the characters that we have all been introduced to in this amazing series, but it is crafted in a way that if a child who has never read a single Elephant & Piggie book picks it up, they will still laugh and enjoy it cover to cover. It is a great way to talk to children about saying thank you in everyday life as well as how to react when someone says thank you to them. As with most of the books in the series, Gerald and, Piggie has some small conflict, but it always gets resolved because they are friends, and they care about each other. In this case, it’s all about Piggie forgetting to thank someone! As always the author draws readers in as part of the story.
The Thank You Book was released May 3rd, and there are AWESOME #ThankORama goodies for everyone to enjoy at ThankORama.com. My kiddos wearing their Elephant & Piggie tee-shirts ( I am giving some away below) and I decided to thank Elephant & Piggie and Mo Willems with this super fun printable speech bubbles. Print some out and then share them with the hashtag #ThankORama – I can’t wait to see who you thank!
Here check out Mo Willems tell us more about #ThankORama in this little video. You can see why his books are so funny!
I know you have waited for me to count down my favorite Elephant & Piggie Books so here goes:
10. A Big Guy Took My Ball Sounds like a book about bullying but it’s more about not judging people too quickly!
9. Should I Share My Ice Cream Friendship is not always easy but books like this one help kids think about situations before they are in them.
8. Can I Play Too? Social skills are much easier to learn when the lesson is wrapped up in a funny book!
7. Are You Ready To Play Outside? This book gets a lot of laughs at my house, I mean A LOT!
6. Let’s Go For A Drive I think I have read this book 300 times, it was my daughter’s favorite forever!
5. The Thank You Book I have a feeling this one will move up in the ranks. But right now my refusal to believe this is the last book in the series has bumped it to 5th.
4. Waiting Is Not Easy When a funny book can help kids connect with life skills. That is a win for everyone
3. There Is A Bird On Your Head The absurdity of the book is what makes it so great!
2. I Will Take A Nap The dream sequence in this book is brilliant!
1. We Are In A Book No other book I know of does as great a job at engaging readers as this one. It is honestly perfection. It’s also hilarious. I give this book as gifts all the time because it’s a no-fail gift!
Prize Pack Sweepstakes!
What is your favorite Elephant and Piggie book? Or if you are just discovering the series which book do you think your child or students would love to read with you? Tell us and you can be entered in our sweepstakes for:
The prize pack will include:
*Copy of The Thank You Book
*Elephant & Piggie event kit & standee
*2 Elephant & Piggie t-shirts
Open to US addresses only. Prizing provided by Disney-Hyperion.Official Rules This sweepstakes are open to American residents 18 years or older. To be eligible for the sweepstakes you must leave a comment on this post answering which Elephant and Piggie book is your favorite or which can you not wait to read. One winning commenter will be drawn at random, using Random.org, after the sweepstakes close on Sunday, May 15th at 8:00 pm PST. The winners will receive the prize pack listed, valued at approximately $35. After the winner is notified he or she has 72 hours to respond with their mailing address or another winner will be chosen at random. No purchase necessary.The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. Any information gathered through the sweepstakes including email and postal addresses will not be used in anyway other than contacting winners and shipment of winnings. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. For more fun book options, make sure to follow me on Facebook! For more quick tips on helping your child learn to read check out my book; Raising A Rock-Star Reader. It is packed with fun ideas for families, book lists, and advice for parents.