XOXO Cupcakes for Valentine’s Day

last minute valentine's day cupcakes

If you are concerned about red food dye ( which I wasn’t when I wrote this obviously but now restrict as much as possible  ) use this  Natural Color red dye instead!

1. Gather your ingredients. I cheat when it comes to baking so, a cake mix and it’s ingredients, some rope licorice ( I used pull and peel twizzlers) , icing , the above mentioned red and pink food coloring, and a few extra bowls.
  2. Make the cake mix, separate it into two bowls one red and one pink. If I did this again I would make the pink lighter so there was more contrast.
  3. Fill the muffin cups with the red first , then at the pink, I used a toothpick to swirl it a little.
  4. Bake and let cool.
  5. While they cool add a little more pink food coloring to the white icing.
  6. Ice the cupcakes when cool.
  7. Start creating with the licorice, write names, messages or just hearts! The licorice is really easy to work with!
  8. Have a treat!
This post contains an affiliate link.

Comments

1. Cioara Andrei says

Foarte interesant ce ai postat.M-am uitat pe blogul tau si imi place ce am vazut chiar e frumos si interesant.Felicitari si sigur am sa mai revin!

2. The Rowe Crew says

Okay…I just have to say that I L-O-V-E your site!!! I found it a few days ago and have poured through all your fabulous ideas and can’t wait to get busy with my 2-year-old. Just wanted to confess and ask if I can borrow some ideas (and I’ll totally give you the credit :o)). Thank you for the GREAT ideas!

3. Andrea says

An alternative to food coloring – add a cup or two of frozen strawberries (thawed) or chopped fresh berries. Love the licorice idea, these look so tasty.

Andrea- you are my new best friend. I kept meaning to find ways to make the color naturally and always get sidetracked searching for something else!

Thanks!

Oh I know this post is making me crave sugar – I baked these early last week and promptly sent them with my husband to his office!

5. johanna says

These cakes are so so cute!! I’m definitely making them in a couple of weeks time with my son. Your site rocks there’s barely a day goes by where I don’t come here and wanna do the activity straight away with my son!!

6. mommaof4wife2r says

ahhhh…so cute! i was trying to figure out how i could stand up hard candy on top with a toothpick, but this is a great idea!!!

7. thinkingchair says

Those look beautiful, and I will be decorating some banana cupcakes like that for my daughter’s birthday party on Valentines Day. I have read somewhere that if you thaw just a handful of frozen berries, that the juice that comes out as they thaw can be used to make lovely pink icing without food colouring. So I will be giving that a go.

1. […] Easy Valentine cupcakes – I included these because anyone can make them. Cooking skills or not, these are the easiest food gift you actually make yourself. Really. To get any easier, you’d have to buy a gift at the bakery. To make these cupcakes, all you need is a cake mix, a container of pre-made frosting, food color, and some licorice. If you started with strawberry cake and frosting, you wouldn’t even need the food color. […]