Toddler Valentine’s Day Craft – Heart Suncatcher

toddler valentine's day craft
Yes the glitter is back, but it doesn’t have to be used for this adorable toddler Valentine’s Day craft, tissue paper alone is perfect too. Parts of this craft are tricky but you can prep them ahead of time and the results are worth it!

1. Gather your materials. You will need 2 pieces of construction paper, some tissue paper, sparkles, double stick tape, contact paper , scissors and markers. * Glue can work but it’s so messy, it’s worth the cost of the double stick tape.toddler valentine's day craft
  2. Start by cutting out 2 large hearts from the construction paper, I just layered the two pages so they would be exact.toddler valentine's day craft
  3. Have your child use the markers to color the hearts. If they are older have them write words like Love, Sweet, etc…toddler valentine's day craft
  4. While they do that cut the tissue paper into small shapes.toddler valentine's day craft
  5. When your child is done fold both hearts in two and cut out the middle – don’t make the frame too small, you can use the cut outs as little valentine’s too!toddler valentine's day craft
  6. Here is the tricky part- cut the contract paper to fit within the heart- I used the piece I cut out as a guide, but made the contact paper heart a bit bigger.
  7. Tape to the undecorated side of the heart- the sticky side of the heart should be facing up, the decorated frame pointing down.sun catcher heart contact paper middle
  8. Now add the tissue paper!toddler valentine's day craft
  9. Add the sparkles! Come on you know you want to!toddler Valentine's day craft
  10. Repeat with the other side so you have 2 hearts with contact paper middles .
  11. Press together, sticky side to sticky side.toddler valentine's day craft

Books!

Click here
for a collection of books about the love of friendship !

Comments

1. J7Troop says

What a neat idea! I am sure we have all these supplies too. Which is exciting because we can do the project right away :)

Thanks for posting it!

2. Shannon says

Like it! One question… do you cut out 2 pieces of contact paper, and then the decorative tissue and sparkles end up between them?

Love your blog. Check it every day and constantly pass it along to other moms.

Shannon -yes there should be 2 pieces of contact paper, I went and added that in the steps so it’s more clear, thanks! I shouldn’t write posts while watching LOST.

Thanks !!

4. Rachel Pierce says

I am your newest fan! Thanks for all the awesome ideas. It’s so fun to peak and see what you’ve come up with. We loved the play-dough sculptures, and I can’t wait to try some of your others. Thanks for helping us moms out!

5. *~*Lis*~* says

These were a huge hit with my little ones! the 2.5 year old just wanted to do glitter (since it’s only used few and far between!) but the 14 month old twins LOVED the contact paper, they really seemed to “get it” and placed even more little hearts in than their big sister!

6. Jen says

Oool! My girlies will love this! We are going to be decorating a pink tree for Valentine’s Day and I think mini- ornaments like this might work. Thanks for the idea!

Jen
    Creative and Curious Kids!

Jen -I love the pink tree idea too!

Lis- my son really got the whole sticky texture this time too, and wasn’t all wild with the glitter. I just figured he was off his game 😉

8. Trisha says

This was very fun. My son’s favorite part is dumping the glitter onto the sticky paper. He enjoyed playing with the foam (instead of tissue paper) heart cutouts so much he wanted to rescue them at the end. I had to cut out more for him.

9. Aprille says

This is great! We needed a valentines decoration for our front window and I didn’t want to purchase more vinyl clings.