These were so fun to make I decided that even if they turned gray while baking I’d post this. Luckily they stayed green and the blueberries are supposed to look like water, I think they do right? My son had a blast, we ended up skipping nap he was having so much fun with a bowl of flour while they baked and he even exclaimed, they “Kinda look like the earth mama.” I take it as a success!
- Gather your materials. The recipe (see below) I used is from the May 2008 edition of Everyday Food ( I cut it in half and used whole wheat flour) . You will also need blueberries, and blue and yellow food coloring. I was out of green but I would still suggest blue and yellow as it give your more control over how it mixes with the brownish color if you are using whole wheat flour.
- When baking with my son I measure out the dry and wet first and let him help from there. There is no right or wrong way of doing this it’s just what I do.
- Mix the dry.
- Mix the wet- apparently it smelled yummy.
- Mix together .
- Add the food coloring.
- Add in the blueberries.
- Spoon into the muffin tin.
- Grab some extra flour , measuring cups and let your little one play. He played for a long time with plain flour. Yes it was a mess but fun normally is.
- Celebrate cause they look enough like earths that it was well worth it! Enjoy .
¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, melted.
2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
2 large eggs
½ cup whole milk
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
Mix dry, mix wet. Add wet to dry, add blueberries ( 1 cup) . Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.Source: May 2008 edition of Everyday Food by Martha Stewart