50 Ways To Teach Your Child To Read

by Allison McDonald 50 ways to teach your child to readLearning to read is not a crash course that kids take and are done with once they can read Dick and Jane without any help. Learning to read is developmental and starts when a newborn looks at you and hears you talking to them. Below are 50 pieces to the reading puzzle . 50 ways that you and your child can have fun knowing that they are working on early literacy development and learning to love books. This is not definitive checklist it’s a buffet of options to help support your child as they develop literacy skills and become independent readers. Find ideas that work for your family with your child and their current development. Click through the linked items for more details and how to do the activity with your child.

1. Read to your child.
  2. Play rhyming games.
  3. Sing the alphabet song with them.
  4. Label things with their names from an early age.
  5. Go to the library even when they are at that loud voice only stage.
  6. Have non fiction books as well as fiction available .
  7. Tell stories.
  8. Have books all over your house.
  9. Teach the letter sounds by emphasizing the sounds in words they hear often from a young age.
  10. Provide fun and interesting books for them to read.
  11. Get a magazine subscription and read it together.
  12. Make play dough letters.
  13. Play the alphabet game on road trips.
  14. Read the mail together.
  15. Make a reading nook.
  16. Clap out syllables.
  17. Make letter crafts.
  18. Make reading play time .
  19. Notice letters in the environment.
  20. Learn about how books work and other concepts of print.
  21. Let them choose their own books at the library or bookstore.
  22. Leave them notes in their lunchboxes .
  23. Play with foam letters in the bath. Use bath toys to make up and tell stories.
  24. Make your own books.
  25. Play eye spy with letters and letter sounds. ” I spy something that starts with the letter B. Buh buh book!”
  26. Give your children books as gifts.
  27. Make up silly songs together.
  28. Ask them to read the pictures to you before they can read the words.
  29. Play library.
  30. Read the book then see the movie for a family treat.
  31. Play with word families.
  32. Read books with no words and share storytelling duties.
  33. Let them see you reading for fun.
  34. Read nursery rhymes.
  35. Explore and trace tactile letters.
  36. Play listening games.
  37. Retell and have your children retell stories after reading them.
  38. Ask your child questions about elements of the story as you read with them. This works on comprehension.
  39. Read books at lunchtime .
  40. Take books with you when you travel.
  41. Build with letter blocks or make your own.
  42. Do word searches.
  43. Play sight word games.
  44. Download an e-reader app on your smartphone and instead of handing them it to play a game make it a treat to use it to read.
  45. Read comics and graphic novels with them.
  46. Talk your your kids using regular words not “kiddie” words.
  47. Read them poetry.
  48. Get their bodies moving to learn letters.
  49. Read them their favorite book over and over and over even if it’s making you want to poke your eyes out.
  50. Make reading part of their bedtime routine from day one.
This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

• says

Another great tool my mom used with my siblings and I, is drwaing shapes and eventually letters on the sidewalk with brushes dipped in water. She finally published her book on amazon: A Thrifty Parent’s Guide to Teaching Your Child to Read, Write, and Count. She even explains easy ways to explain and demonstrate base ten!

Lots of these activities are of course, reading readiness and pre reading activities. What I have found is that with most kids you do need a systematic system for teaching reading as not all will pick it up from all these great ideas.

2. Samantha says

I don’t really recommend singing the alphabet song. I mean, it helps, but when we did that, confusion arose over sound vs. letters. Then we tried the Letter Factory by Leap Frog, and that really helps. They emphasize more on phonics, not letters. Other than that, great list!!

Thanks for lots of great ideas. I plan to use the sight word dominos game with my first grade students this week. I also linked to your post on my blog Yulupa Reads to give our school’s parents and Schools of Hope volunteers some ideas they can use.

Every Thursday is “I Hate to Read” Thursday on my Facebook author page. It pains me that some kids don’t like to read, so I make it my mission to find things to help them. Today, is was your 50 Ways to Teach Your Child to Read. Thanks!

5. mbw says

As a preschool teacher and librarian, one of my favorite things is to have the children make puppets (paper sack, Popsicle stick, whatever) of the characters in the story so they can retell the story (#37).
    The most important things you can do (and this list shows you how) are to model good reading behavior (if you hate it, they will know and hate it too) and to expose your children to a variety of reading experiences. When they see that reading is a valuable and enjoyable skill, they will want to develop it themselves.
    Also, if you have a reluctant reader, read together (you read one page or paragraph, s/he reads one) and find books that are about something they are interested in (sports, horses, race cars…). The non fiction section has more to offer than science or social studies help.
    Okay, off my soapbox now…reading is just so near and dear to my heart!

A while ago I had found an online Learning to Read program which follows a step-by-step learning for kids from pre-K ages through to 6+ years. Kids learn to read and write while having loads of fun. They don’t even realise that they’re learning. There are heaps of fun activities. There is a 30 day free trial as well.

I hope it helps rescue my little cousins…..its bn a wish they find reading interesting. Thanks for the wonderful advice! Those 50 ways are absolutely the best as i will apply it in my teaching method onwards.

Allison, I agree with your suggestion that learning to read is not a 1 course and your done type of thing. It is indeed an ongoing developmental skill.

I really give a thumbs up to suggestion #40 where you say the parent should incorporate movement in learning. I believe it is true that kids learn things better kinesthetically. Involve all the senses in learning and the child is likely to learn more and retain more longer.

Marie C.

Love this list! And how many of the ways have to do with playing with your child.

As well as all the ideas that don’t require sitting down with a book (although I love reading to & with my kids!) – particularly helpful for boys, who I find tend to have more affinity for energetic activities.

Really love the double impact of #22 – notes in lunchboxes: developing skills and communicating care. There are so many great suggestions, I’ll be coming back more than once to pick out a few more to put into practice. Thanks!

10. joan says

i found that the current phonetic – synthetic phonics method destroyed my son’s confidence – he found it incomprehensible as the rules were so limited and only apply to some cases..

• Allison McDonald says

No child learns in the exact same way I hope you have been able to find the best way to teach him and support his learning.