50 Books For 2 Year Olds

books for 2 year oldsThe best way that you can promote reading with your children is to read every single day starting as soon as possible. These 50 books are our favorite books for 2 year olds. It was tough to narrow it down to 50 and many of these authors like Eric Carle , Karen Katz , Byron Barton, and Sandra Boynton could have been listed many times over so check out all their titles.  Is your favorite on the list? If not add the title in the comments and we’ll keep this list growing. Click through the links to see our original review!

1. Planes by Byron Barton
  20. Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
  21. The Babies on the Bus by Karen Katz
  22. Hush, Little Alien by Daniel Kirk
  23. The Little Airplane by Lois Lenski
  24. It’s Mine by Leo Lionni
  25. Baby Says “Moo!”by JoAnn Early Macken
  26. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
  27. Chicka Chicka ABC by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault
  45. Owl Babies by Martin Waddell
  46. Apples, Apples, Apples by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace
  47. Apple Farmer Annie by  Monica Wellington
  48. Mr. Cookie Baker by Monica Wellington
  49. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems
  50. Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha
This post contains affiliate links in the first paragraph.

Comments

• Allison McDonald says

I’ve heard good things about Penny Loves Pink – I need to find it because my daughter is pink obsessed. Thanks.

1. Amanda says

My son loves Winston was Worried by Pamela Duncan Edwards. He has even started using the words “great, big, huge, enormous” to describe things around us.

2. laura says

Great list, and awesome resource! Two of my children’s and my classroom favorites are It Looked Like Spilt Milk by Charles G Shaw, The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big, Hungry Bear by Don and Audrey Wood.

• Allison McDonald says

I knew I’d forget a few of my own favorites and It Looked Like Spilt Milk is the first of my own I forgot! Great suggestions , thanks!

3. Emily. R says

My son loved “My Truck is Stuck” by Kevin Lewis and “We’re Going on a Lion Hunt” by Margery Cuyler at this age. The repetition in the story was perfect for him and these were the first books he started to “read” on his own.

4. Maja says

My daughter loves Julia Donaldson’s books, eg. Chocolate Mousse for Greedy Goose, Gruffalo, Stick Man and also David Wojtowycz and of course Dr Seuss, and Big Red Bath by Julia Jarman.

5. Denise says

We love Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell…it is a great lift and look book!! Thanks for the list! It is a great resource.

The Pear in the Pear Tree by Pamela Allen is a current favourite in our house. She is a Kiwi author / illustrator and her books are fantastic to read aloud. They are lots of fun too.

Thanks for the list and thanks for introducing me to Sandra Boynton. My 2 year old daughter loves her. I love it when she reads Fifteen Animals to me. (Bob, bob, bob, bob and bob….)

7. KarenElissa says

I have a class full of two year olds and a huge love of books so we have quite a collection of favorites. In addition to many of the authors already named, here are a few more of our favorites:

Baby Beluga by Raffi (our absolute favorite, especially fun with the music to go with it)
    Piggies by Audrey Wood
    Freight Train by Donald Crews
    Skip to My Lou by Nadine Bernard Westcott
    Mice Squeak, We Speak by Tomie dePaola
    Mrs. Wishy-Washy by Joy Cowley
    Here Are My Hands by Bill Martin Jr
    Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed by Eileen Christelow

• Allison McDonald says

How did I forget Freight Train?? Urgh. My son loved that book . I debated on Baby Beluga but stopped at 50 :) Love your other suggestions too!

8. Casey says

A few if our faves to add…

Jam berry
    Mouse Paint
    Time for Bed
    The Napping House
    The Llama Llama books

9. Angie says

Thanks for this great list! My son LOVES Little Blue Truck and many of his favourites are on your list. Can’t wait to read some new titles with him.

10. Liz says

Where going on a bear hunt.
    Ten fingers, ten toes.
    Where is the green sheep?
    You are special -by Max Lucado
    The story of the little mole who knew it was none of his business.
    The Hairy MacLary series

11. lynne bell says

Dont forget the “there was an old lady who swallowed” collection. Mine loves “there was an old lady who swallowed a bat”

Our favorite for two-year olds is I Love You, Stinky Face. It was a baby shower gift and we have now owned 3 copies. The first one was loved to pieces, the second is now in use and the third is in reserve (just in case they stop publishing it).

13. Kim says

Nancy Tillman
    Where Ever You are My Love Will Find You
    On the Night You Were Born
    It’s Time to Sleep My Love

My LO kisses the polar bear every night. And knocks out after “It’s Time to Sleep”.

This is such a great list! I would add Where is Ben? by Marisabina Russo, and Jump Frog Jump by Robert Kalan. Also, Ask Mr. Bear by Marjorie Flack.

I Agree
    Fun, educational and entertaining children book parents, guardians and preteens might like. Check it out now. .www.ronalddestra.com

Play Video

Children book: Hoppy the Frog. Author Ronald Destra
    Children book: Hoppy the Frog. Author Ronald Destra- http://www.ronalddestra.com/ A small tadpole born alongside hundreds of others wanted nothing more than to stand out, to

50 BOOKS FOR 2 YEAR OLDS

How many of these have you read? This is a great list!