This easy octopus craft is a great ocean craft for preschool. It’s fun to make and has only a few must-follow directions and you can use any scrap paper to fill the paper bag. If you are at home this summer scrambling for a fun activity for your preschooler this easy octopus craft is a perfect fit! This octopus craft is even more fun after reading some great ocean books like these ones! Skip down the page to see my favorite octopus book for preschool.
How to make an octopus craft
- Gather your materials. You will need a paper bag, a magazine or newspaper, some paint, a brush, and some tape.
- Start by painting your bag, open it up to paint all the sides. I like to use a few different colors to make a fun multicolored octopus!
- Paint the bottom of the bag last and let dry.
- Rip some pages out of a magazine and crumple them into balls.
- Stuff your bag and put a piece of tape tightly around the gathered bag.
- Cut the remaining bag into 8 tentacles. Add eyes by using a marker with younger children or googly eyes with older ones who are less likely to try and eat the googly eyes!
I love this book! Hello, My Name is Octicorn is hilarious and your kids will love it too. Kevin Diller and Justin Lowe share their very unique character of Octicorn who is half octopus and half unicorn. It’s tough for him to fit in sometimes but that doesn’t stop him from trying. I love to ask students what they would use a horn for if they had one!
Check out these ocean activities for preschool there are sensory play ideas, ocean math activities, literacy activities with an ocean theme, and more!
Thank you for all your wonderful ideas. I was hoping you could help me out by letting me know the tune to the octopus song. I would love to teach it to my children but not too sure how to start. (the video is down) I would greatly appreciate your help.
It’s to the tune of ” Alice the Camel” – the videos unfortunately are down and finding time to re do them with 2 kids has been horrible but I do have some working here : https://www.notimeforflashcards.com/other-activities/songs