After reading Speakaboo’s Sleeping Beauty on our iPod with the MeMeTales Mobile Reader App I was inspired to make a butterfly fairy wand to go along with the fairies in the story. I wanted to show parents how easy a fun and very sparkly wand can be to make. I asked my son if he wanted to be a part of this craft and I got a resounding “No.” Even after I suggested making it a Bat-wand he wasn’t convinced. So I made it myself and even though I have no need for a fairy wand I have to say I have been casting some awesome spells with it.
Butterfly Fairy Wand
- Gather your materials. You will need some sticky back foam if it’s sparkly even better! You will also need a drinking straw (milkshake ones work great), a pen or marker, scissors and curling ribbon.
- Start by drawing a butterfly (or shape of your choice) on the backing of your foam.
- Cut out and use as a stencil for the other side. We used two different colors of foam but using the same is a great choice as well.
- Peel the back off the foam, press the straw into it.
- Sandwich the straw in between the foam.
- Add the ribbon.
- Curl the ribbon on the edge of the scissors blade (adults only please).
- Now cast some stupendous spells!
If you teach preschool or preschool at home, you will love my Little School my ebook of preschool activities.
For more fun activities, make sure to follow me on Facebook!